After his coronation on the 6th July 1483, the king made a northern tour. He was at Scarborough on May 22nd 1484
and again from 30th June to 11th July. An order dated the 28th May was for the payment of £40 due to Scarborough
merchant named Thomas Sage.
Thomas Sage, it has been suggested, owned this house as he is known to have had property in the area, maybe
the king was entertained there, but it is unlikely that the king would stay.
The building was expanded in the 16th century, and eventually came to comprise a three storey building with
projecting bays, gables, and mullioned casement windows.