in the south-west its history has been influenced by shipbuilding and seafaring.
Augustinian Priory at Plympton. Seventy-six years later, in a pipe roll dated 1211, we see Plymouth being mentioned
for the first time as 'Ply Mouth' in reference to it geographical location.
hold a market. The following hundred and fifty years saw Plymouth grow in size and a licence to crenellate was granted to
'the King's lieges lately dwelling at Plymouth' in 1404. Although a large town, and hemmed in by its new wall, it was still
under the control of the Priors of Plympton Abbey. Objecting to this, the towns people petitioned the king applying for self governing status but nothing came of it. However, on the 12th November 1439, Parliament passed an Act making
Plymouth a borough, it was the first time that Parliament had granted such powers. The following year Henry VI
issued another royal charter that granted the town permission to hold fairs and feasts along with its market.
This charter was celebrated with a change of name and since that day Devon's county town has been known as Plymouth.